A Woman Swallowed Her Engagement Ring in Her Sleep & Documented Her Entire 'Rescue Mission'

Jenna Evans
Facebook/Jenna Evans

We've all heard some wedding ring horror stories, about rings falling down the sink drain or somehow getting eaten by the dog. But one California woman has shared a lost engagement ring story on Facebook that officially takes the cake. Jenna Evans of San Diego recently swallowed her engagement ring in her sleep and documented the whole crazy journey to rescue it from her stomach. So buckle up -- because it is WILD.

  • In her post, Evans shared that she woke up on September 10 to discover her engagement ring was missing -- and she suspected that she'd swallowed it.

    "I actually remember doing it, but I thought I was dreaming, so I went back to sleep," she wrote. 

    But oh, no -- she was NOT dreaming. 

    "On Wednesday morning, I realized my ring was not on my hand and had to wake [my fiancé] Bob Howell up and tell him that I swallowed my engagement ring," she continued.

    Apparently, Evans is a pretty deep sleeper, and had been dreaming that she and her fiancé Bobby "were in a very sketchy situation involving a high speed train and bad guys and he told me I had to swallow my ring to protect it." (Talk about an intense dream.) 

    "So I popped that sucker off, put it in my mouth and swallowed it with a glass of water riiiight about the time I realized what I was doing," she explained. "I assumed this too was a dream, because WHO ACTUALLY SWALLOWS THEIR ENGAGEMENT RING, so I went back to sleep."

  • Advertisement
  • At first, Evans' fiancé wasn't buying the whole story -- but it didn't take him long to realize that she was NOT making this one up.

    His response? Apparently, he found the whole thing pretty amusing.

    "We laughed pretty hard for about an hour and a half, called my mom, laughed until we were crying, Googled 'do other adults swallow rings' because kids do it all the time, but apparently it's less common for adults," Evans wrote.

    And the hilarity ensued when they drove to urgent care to have the ring removed. 

    "The doctor ordered an X-ray and seemed pretty shocked when she walked back in with a second doctor and showed me that sure enough, my ring was right there in my stomach!" she recalled. "They called a gastroenterologist and decided it would be best NOT to let nature take its course. (Thank God.) Before I left, she recommended seeing a sleep specialist as well."

  • But the laughter started to fade once Evans started to feel pain as the ring moved downward, and she started getting nervous.

    By then, a GI doctor had advised her to get an an upper endoscopy, and says she was basically told, "Don't worry it's not big deal, but please sign this release form just in case you die."

    Needless to say, things were getting REAL, and it was starting to get a little scary.

    "Then I cried a lot because I would be SO MAD if I died," Evans joked. "I waited a long time for that damn engagement ring and I WILL marry Bobby Howell DAMNIT."

    In the end, Evans says doctors were able to find her ring just beyond her stomach and inside her intestines. They retrieved it and handed it to her fiancé (for safekeeping).
  • After the procedure, Evans celebrated the ring retrieval (and happy ending) in the best possible way: by chowing down on some fast food.

    Despite her doctor's warning that she should eat "light" following the endoscopy, Evans made her fiancé take her to Hamburger Heaven (aka In-N-Out). And just in case you're wondering, she got a double-double, mustard fries with cheese fries, and a chocolate shake.

    "I probably cried as I stuffed cheese fries in my mouth," she continued. "I asked for my ring, he said no. Thank God I had that chocolate shake."

    Believe it or not, Evans' fiancé actually refused to give her her ring back at first. But finally, he relented.

    "I promised not to swallow it again," she said, adding that, "we're still getting married and all is right in the world." (Phew!)

    Evans' hilarious post quickly went viral over the weekend, racking up over 62,000 shares (and counting). It's also served as an unexpected warning to probably every engaged woman out there to not sleep with their engagement ring within eating distance. (You know -- JUST in case.)

wedding engagement