Mom Claims Day Care Handed Her a 'Lifeless' Baby at the End of the Day & Showed No Remorse

Taylor Bush

Police are investigating the mysterious death of an infant after the 2-month-old's mother went to pick her up at day care and found her "lifeless." Mom Taylor Bush from Cleveland, Ohio, explained that when she dropped off her sons and her daughter, Di'Yanni Griffin, at the day care facility, the girl was perfectly healthy, but only hours later she would return to find that her daughter was unresponsive.

  • Bush had taken her kids to the day care facility Tuesday morning, and when she returned, she immediately noticed something was wrong.

    Nana's Home Daycare

    Bush told ABC 5 that she had dropped her kids off at Nana's Home Daycare in the morning. The mom texted day care provider Danielle Townsend at 2 p.m. to let her know that she was on her way to pick up her daughter. The woman told her that she wasn't there but her sister was.

    Townsend's sister welcomed Bush at the door with Griffin in her arms. 

    "I knock on the door, go in there -- she told me my baby was breathing heavy," Bush said. "I say, 'Why didn't you call?' She had no answer." The mom added that the sister had no idea where her daughter's bottle was either.

    The mom, who lives above the facility, took her daughter and started to walk upstairs, but she immediately noticed that something was off. 

    "So I go to walk out the door and I close the door behind me, so I'm like, 'Hey, mama baby.' I realize her neck is, just, she's just lifeless," the mom told CNN

    Bush then went back downstairs to the day care and asked for help. She also started CPR and called 911. 
  • Advertisement
  • The efforts to resuscitate the girl were futile; she was rushed to a local hospital and later pronounced dead.

    Nana's Home Daycare

    "When (they) handed me my daughter, my daughter was basically already dead," the mom later explained. 

    Bush told ABC 5 she was frustrated that while she was calling 911 to come and save her baby, Townsend's sister was calling the day care provider. "Why aren't you trying to call police?" the mom asked her pointedly.

    When they got to the hospital, Bush was desperate to hear that her daughter would be OK. "They could not find a pulse for my daughter at all. I begged them -- the hospital -- to keep working on her because they had already pronounced her dead," she said. "I begged them to keep working on my baby, because I couldn't cope with the words 'She was gone.'"

    The heartbroken mom said that when she went back to the facility to pick up her sons, Townsend showed no remorse.

  • An autopsy on the baby was performed Thursday, though it has yet to be determined how the baby died.

    CNN noted that if Griffin's death was officially caused by "suspicious circumstances," then the police department will investigate her death. A representative from Cuyahoga County Children and Family Services said Nana's will be barred from watching over children if there is an investigation. 

    Townsend herself has since spoken out about the incident and reiterated that she was not there at the time of Griffin's death. She told Fox 8 that she was positive the child was alive while in her sister's care.

    "My sister calls me and says, 'Call her mother,'" Townsend explained as a way to show that the child had been alive. "I said, 'Well, her mother just texted me; what's wrong?' She said, 'The baby is breathing fast.'"

    She added that she's worked in day care facilities for 15 years and has operated her own day care location for three. Townsend also said she tried to get in contact with Bush on the day of her daughter's death, but could not do so. She admitted that no one from Nana's called 911 when they noticed that Griffin was breathing fast.

    Police told People that most likely Griffin died of natural causes, but nothing can be certain until the autopsy report has been released.

    In a statement given by a representative from the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services to the news outlet, it read: 

    "ODJFS is monitoring this tragic situation very closely. County JFS agencies are responsible for inspections of in-home child care, with oversight of ODJFS. The county agency is conducting an investigation and actively working with child protective services and law enforcement. ODJFS would make the final determination on whether to suspend Nana’s Home Daycare license if the county agency recommends suspension.”

    As for Bush, all the mom wanted was for her little girl to have "justice."

    “They showed no remorse, no apologies, not anything, no ‘sorry for your loss,’ no condolences,” she said.

    I don’t know how to cope. Honestly I don’t,” she added. “I’ve never dealt with anything like this before. ... I’m just broken, I’m broken."

child abuse child care childcare