Family of 4 & Their Pets Found Dead In Their Home From Carbon Monoxide Leak


Facebook/Jennifer Turnbull Reitter

Relatives were growing concerned about the Reitter family and decided to stick to their gut. Nobody had heard from them for days, and the family of four had complained of illness before losing contact with everyone. So loved ones called 911 to make a welfare check at the home, and that's when officers made a grisly discovery.

  • When police responded to the Ohio home on May 2, they found a horrible scene.

    The entire family -- Gabe Reitter III, 50, wife Jennifer, 49, and children Gabe IV, 15, and Grace, 13, -- plus their three dogs, were all dead from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

    "Our community suffered a terrible loss," Genoa Township Police Chief Stephen Gammill said at a press conference the following day.

    Gammill said that when police arrived on the scene, they noticed all cars were in the driveway and found the home secured.

  • Advertisement
  • Police, however, observed an unresponsive adult through a window and forced entry into the home.

    After encountering a suspicious odor, they immediately retreated and the Genoa Township Fire Department entered the home in protective gear. 

    Genoa Township Fire Deputy Chief Joseph Ponzi said at the press conference that after searching the home his personnel made the gruesome discovery.

  • “As they made their way through the residence, they confirmed that we had two adults and two children that were deceased,” the deputy fire chief said.

    Ponzi indicated that upon initial entry, his personnel found carbon monoxide readings of 1,000 parts per million -- the maximum reading possible on their meter. Another reading a short time later indicated a reading in excess of 1,200 parts per million.

    According to Ponzi, his department’s policy considers 30 parts per million harmful and necessitates that personnel be in protective gear. He also said no carbon monoxide monitors were found in the home.

    Ponzi said a full investigation will be conducted once the home is completely cleared of the carbon monoxide and is safe for personnel to enter.

  • The family is struggling with the loss. 

    Gabe Reitter’s brother-in-law Ralph Marcum told ABC6 that Gabe had his own construction business that would continue on, just as he would have wanted it. 

    “It could not happen to someone who was so giving," Marcum said. "He was a brother.”

    A recently installed water heater has been identified as the source of the carbon monoxide leak, according to ABC 13.

illness death family