Back to Top
  • The fall happened late Wednesday afternoon, when the boy and his sister were left alone in a room together with an open window.

    According to Q13 Fox, the 20-month-old was lying on a mattress pad on the floor in his apartment at the Redmond Square Apartments complex Wednesday when he took an incredible tumble out the window. The boy was in the room alone with his 4-year-old sister and propped himself up using the window, which police said was only about a foot off the ground, and fell. 

    The boy's mother was in another room in the apartment, so she didn't know anything was wrong. Her daughter looked around and didn't see her baby brother. 

    "The 4-year-old sister discovered her brother was no longer in the room and came out screaming to the mom that something bad had happened," explained Redmond Police Public Information Officer James Perry.

  • Advertisement
  • That is when the mother looked outside and saw that her son had fallen 70 feet and landed on a parked car outside their apartment building.

    Police rushed to the scene around 4:45 p.m., and when they got to the boy he was alive and crying. 

    Luckily for the toddler, another tenant of the apartment building, Edward Lu, had decided to bike to work Wednesday, which meant his blue Mazda was in its usual spot to break the toddler's fall

    “It’s about 60 to 70 feet; if the car hadn’t been there this would’ve been a completely different story," Perry said. The toddler did, however, do some damage to Lu's vehicle.

    "The denting on top of the car suggests it absorbed a lot of the impact from the child," Perry continued. 

    As for Lu, he told reporters that he feels incredibly lucky his car was there to make the life-saving catch. "Yeah, you know, if I had driven in today I don't know what would've happened. We're all lucky I guess that I biked in rather than driving," he explained.

    Lu added that even though he doesn't normally believe in miracles, he had to admit this was definitely very lucky. "I can't say I do normally but this time, I don't know how else to term it," he said.

  • The boy was rushed to the hospital for his injuries. 

    The toddler was taken to Harborview Medical Center for treatment, and a hospital spokesperson said he was in serious but stable condition.