Parents to Adopt Newborn Baby of Woman Accused of Killing Their Beloved Boy

Sam and Juliet Warren

Despite their grief, the foster parents of a toddler who was brutally killed after he was returned to his birth mother are hoping to do some good again. This time, by adopting the little boy's newborn sister. The heartbreaking story begins after Sam and Juliet Warren from Largo, Florida, started fostering 2-year-old Jordan Belliveau. They spent a year-and-a-half as a family, but then it was decided that he would be returned to his birth mother. Unfortunately, the boy's life was tragically cut short when police found his body in the woods, a crime that his pregnant mom has admitted to committing. 

  • Jordan's foster parents first fell in love with him when he was placed in their care after a his parents' dangerous behavior put his safety at risk.

    As CafeMom previously reported, Jordan was placed in foster care as an infant in 2017 after child protective services determined that his home environment was unsafe. Court documents from the time revealed that there were prior police calls to the boy's home, including a shooting in their driveway that involved his father, Jordan Belliveau Sr.; complaints of weapons, stolen drugs, and vehicles; and reports of a homicide suspect and a registered sex offender spending time on the property.

    It was only in January 2017 that Jordan was placed with foster parents, Sam and Juliet Warren, who told ABC Action News that the boy was in their care until he was returned to his mother on May 31, 2018. The Warrens cherished their foster son and described the boy as being "filled with joy. Most folks knew him as the Jordan that was laid back, with an easy smile and a twinkle in his eye. He was our ‘Mr. Chuckles,'" Sam Warren said in September 2018. 

  • Advertisement
  • But the reunion between mother and son was short-lived. On September 4, 2018, the 2-year-old's body was found in the woods.

    According to the Tampa Bay Times, Jordan's mother, 21-year-old Charisse Stinson, admitted to fatally hitting her son in the head during a heated moment of frustration. This came five months after the decision was made to return Jordan to his mother, after child welfare workers inspected Stinson's home, and approved it for reunification. However, a lawyer who represented Jordan's guardian ad litem told the paper that the decision was also made despite the fact that both the boy's "mother and father had not done their case plan at the time of reunification." 

    Jordan's guardian ad litem, a person appointed by the court to act in a child's best interest, also raised this concern when she was brought in front of the magistrate who was presiding over Jordan's case, according to the Tampa Bay Times. The guardian reportedly said that Stinson had no proof she had been going to counseling. The mom testified that she had been going since November 2017, but no record could be found of those visits. The magistrate who presided over Jordan's case did not let the lapse in documentation prevent the mother and son from being reunited. The magistrate overruled Jordan's ad litem guardian and allowed the boy to return to his mother on May 31. The boy's father were granted the same access on June 11.

    Records from the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office showed that the guardian was "always against the reunification," but a social services case manager "was for the mother and wanted her to go forward with reunification." 

    However, the guardian's lawyer said that after their reunification, "The mother has been notoriously difficult to get a hold of and (the guardian ad litem) is rarely successful in seeing the child at the home." Which might have been signs of the tragedy that was to come.

    At the time of his death that September, the medical examiner's autopsy reported that the boy had a fracture to his skull and hemorrhaging underneath. He also had cuts on his lip and left thigh and a broken thigh bone, reported Fox 13. The examiner noted that Jordan had a "healing wound" on his chin that suggested an earlier injury before the injuries that led to his death. 

    His body was found partially decomposed in a swampy area, fully dressed, and covered in vegetation and water. His mother was arrested and charged with the murder of her son. At the time she was pregnant with her second child and gave birth while in police custody.

  • Now, Jordan's foster parents have a second chance to honor the foster son they tragically lost.

    At the time of his foster son's death, Sam Warren told ABC Action News that they were devastated and felt system that had failed their foster son. "Jordan was failed by the system," he said. "He was failed by many people who would have protected him, but didn't. Promises that were made to us about how he would be protected after his return were broken."

    "He wasn’t just the boy in the Amber Alert," Warren continued. "He learned to roll over in our house. I remember my mom helping him learn to crawl. Jordan learned to walk and talk in our family."

    "We are devastated by his loss, [if not] for a court order, he would still be safe in our home," Warren added. 

    But now the foster parents have found a way to heal and again help a child in trouble. After learning of Stinson's pregnancy and the birth of her daughter, the couple contemplated what would happen to the girl while her mother was in prison. 

    In a statement sent to WTSP, the couple said this time they wouldn't just foster a child, they were going to adopt Jordan's little sister. 

    "As the fall continued, the question of what would happen to Jordan's little sister began to weigh on us. We knew that Charisse would not be able to care for her. After much prayer, we approached Charisse about allowing us to adopt the baby, and she agreed."

    According to Fox 13, even though the girl's mother has terminated her parental rights, Jordan Belliveau Sr. is not so quick to do so. The dad has expressed interest in obtaining custody of the little girl, named Serenity, and his lawyer told reporters that Belliveau "is working full time, ready to be a great father, and has a large family support system."

     "He is going to fight for custody and will eventually have custody," his lawyer added.

    For now at least, Serenity is living with the Warrens, reported WTSP. The Warren's are currently going through the process of adoption and have asked for privacy while they go through the legal process. 

    "We wanted to make it clear that this beautiful girl is safe, healthy and deeply loved," continued the couple's statement.