Mom Carrying Baby in Stroller Dies After Falling Down Subway Stairs

Subway station

If you've ever seen someone try to get on and off the New York City subway carrying a stroller or tried it yourself, you know that it can feel like a disaster waiting to happen. Essentially, you have to carry the stroller (with your child in it) up and down a set of stairs while fighting against other passengers and trying not to miss your train or stop. For many parents, this balancing act seems downright dangerous -- especially if a kindhearted stranger doesn't offer help. Well, unfortunately for one 22-year-old mom it was, and it ended in a deadly accident at the bottom of the narrow subway stairs.

  • The incident happened on Monday evening, when Malaysia Goodson was attempting to use a staircase in the subway with her daughter.

    According to the New York Times, Goodson, who was from Stamford, Connecticut, was in New York about 8 p.m. Monday. At that time, she was attempting to transport her 1-year-old daughter, who was in a stroller, on a staircase in a subway station in midtown Manhattan. She was reportedly at the Seventh Avenue subway station at 53rd Street when she and her girl fell.

  • Advertisement
  • Unfortunately, when authorities arrived on the scene she was unconscious and unresponsive -- with the stroller still in her hands and the baby still in it.

    Goodson was taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead. Her daughter, identified by NBC 4 as Rhylee, was discovered conscious and treated at the scene. She was later reunited with her father and grandmother. 

    Authorities are still investigating if the mom's death was caused by an ongoing medical condition or by the impact of the fall, and they aren't sure if she was pushing Rhyee in her stroller or carrying her, but more answers will hopefully be made clear after a medical examiner determines the official cause of death. 

    Family told reporters that the young mom was a daycare provider in her hometown of Stamford but was in the city Monday to visit a cousin. She appeared to be alone at the time of her fall.

    Goodson's brother told reporters that Rhylee was his sister's only daughter and described Goodson as being protective and caring. He added that she was very loved and that they have been receiving hundreds of messages of condolence on social media.

    "This is a heartbreaking tragedy,” said Shams Tarek, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

  • Goodson's death is a reminder that for the thousands of parents and people with disabilities who use the subway daily, the elevator service is seriously lacking.

    The station where Goodson fell is one of many subway stops where there is no elevator to help passengers safely get down to their train line. Of the 472 stations in New York City, only about one-quarter of them have elevators and a recent survey found that each of the available elevators breaks down about 53 times per year, the New York Times reports. 

    An ongoing lawsuit against the Metropolitan Transit Authority, which oversees the subway system, even described the subway as one of the least accessible in the country and claimed that the MTA was in violation of the federal Americans With Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in public spaces. 

    And as any parent can imagine, elevator access can be crucial when trying to travel with a young baby and stroller.