Mom Stands Guard 24/7 at Facility Where Coma Patient Was Raped & Impregnated

mom standing guard at care home to prevent rape
GoFundMe

The news that a woman in a vegetative state was raped and gave birth at an Arizona health care facility shocked and sickened the nation two weeks ago. Since then, officials at Hacienda Healthcare in Phoenix have put additional security measures in place and are seeking DNA tests from every male employee to try to identify a suspect. But for Karina Cesena, a 44-year-old mom whose daughter Jazzmyne Morris has brain damage and is being cared for at the facility, the measures simply aren't enough. The mom is now standing guard over her 22-year-old daughter's room 24/7 and has placed a sign on the door asking for "no male staff."

  • Cesena's daughter has been at Hacienda Healthcare for two years, according to CBS News.

    In a GoFundMe account set up that was set up in 2016 to help pay for her daughter's medical care, Cesena explained that her daughter's brain damage was caused by a severe asthma attack. Jazzmyne stopped breathing and doctors couldn't find her pulse. They were able to revive her, but she remained in critical condition.

  • Advertisement
  • Cesena's daughter now has severe disabilities and requires around-the-clock care.

    Cesena told The Sun her daughter cannot shower alone and has difficulty eating, but she is cognitive and she was able to understand when her mom explained what happened to the other patient at the facility. "I had to explain to what happened and her eyes just got really big. She was scared. We're all petrified," the mom said. "I asked her if she had been abused and she said no, but many of the patients here are completely non verbal so who knows how many more have been abused?"

    She added, "We put a note on the door for no guys to come into our room until we get this case settled and find out who this perpetrator is, which I feel bad for because I know there's a lot more good guys than bad guys out there but I have to protect my daughter."

  • Cesena has started a second GoFundMe account to raise money to move her daughter to another facility.

    The mom told The Sun that she has quit her job to chaperone her daughter full time, and she plans to install CCTV cameras in her daughter's room. The mom also claimed that her daughter has experienced substandard care from the facility in the past. She said the food was so terrible and difficult for her daughter to chew that the girl's weight went down to 55 pounds. 

    "We had several issues with the care home. It started three or four months after she moved here -- and suddenly things started going downhill. Food was terrible, therapy was not good, staff members were quitting left and right," she said. "We've had privacy issue because she goes and showers by herself and she's vulnerable in her chair and staff just kind of walk in and out and that's private time. You need to keep the doors closed and keep her dignity and privacy intact."

  • The unnamed patient who was victimized at the health care facility gave birth to a baby on December 29. 

    No one at the facility knew she was pregnant until she reportedly started moaning in pain as she went into labor. The victim, who is a member of the San Carlos Apache tribe, is quadriplegic, brain damaged, and suffers regular seizures. She has reportedly been at Hacienda Healthcare since a near-drowning incident when she was 3. The Sun reports that at the time that she was raped, she had a feeding tube in her stomach, a breathing tube, and was suffering bouts of recurrent pneumonia.

    Despite the victim giving birth near end of December, Cesena claimed that she didn't receive notice of the incident from the facility until January 8, 10 days after the baby was born. "It took them too long to respond. I didn't receive that letter until January 8 and it was even addressed to me it was in an envelope with my daughter's name on it," she told The Sun. "I definitely believe that there's been negligence and bad management."

  • The investigation at Hacienda Healthcare is ongoing, and Fox 10 reports that several major changes have been made.

    There are reportedly police patrolling the facility, visitors must wear color-coded badges that are checked by hall monitors, and a back door that administrators and families used in the past is now locked. Fox 10 also reports that male employees cannot enter a female patient's room unless they are accompanied by a female staff member. The new rules have put added pressure on staff, and there's no way of knowing if the perpetrator really was a staff member until DNA testing is complete.

    "People are overworked -- all the women are picking up the slack until we can figure out who did this. I know the male staff have been DNA tested but we don't know if family members are being tested -- or even other patients, as there are able-bodied patients in the unit," Cesena told The Sun.

  • The baby who was born in December is in the care of the victim's family.

    As for Cesena, she intends to stay by her daughter's side until she can afford to move her somewhere else. "We can't rest until this guy and this place is held accountable," she told The Sun. "We're looking for another facility. I need to start feeling safe and my daughter needs to start feeling safe. She doesn't want to be here. It's terrifying."