Police Need Help Finding the Woman Who Allegedly Killed a Mom of 3 Over a $35 Manicure

nail salon hit and run

A 51-year-old mother of three and nail salon owner was killed in a senseless act of violence outside of her Las Vegas business. On December 29, Ngoc “Annie” Nguyen chased after a woman who left her salon without paying for her $35 manicure. When Nguyen tried to stop the alleged thief from driving away, she was dragged under the car and killed before the woman fled the scene. Now police are asking for the public's help in finding the customer who took Nguyen's life.

  • Las Vegas police have identified the suspect as 21-year-old Krystal Whipple.

    According to NBC News, she was seen on security footage striking Nguyen with a stolen black convertible sedan and driving away, dragging the mother's body underneath the car for several feet. Police said the woman tried to pay for her manicure with a fraudulent credit card and then told salon workers she was going to her car to get cash. When they noticed that she was starting to drive away, they ran out to stop her.

  • Advertisement
  • Video of the incident shows Nguyen running toward the front of the woman's vehicle, while a man identified as Nguyen's husband chases after the car.

    The car appears to accelerate as it hits Nguyen and exits the parking lot. According to NBC News, police later found the car abandoned at a nearby apartment complex. It was a rental vehicle that had been reported as stolen months earlier.

  • In 2017, Whipple was convicted of attempted possession of a stolen vehicle and spent four months in a Las Vegas jail for violating probation. 

    The mugshot photo that is being circulated by police came from that arrest. Police are asking anyone with knowledge of her whereabouts to contact homicide@lvmpd.com or call (702) 828-3521.

  • A GoFundMe account set up to help Nguyen's family reveals that she was a mother of three girls who worked tirelessly for her kids.

    The GoFundMe account was started by Nguyen's daughter, Christy, who wrote, "She had been constantly putting in 12-14 hours a day, seven days a week to send her daughters to college and to support her mother, siblings, and grandchildren."

    She added, "The saddest part is her youngest granddaughter is holding her picture and asking everyone if she's in heaven, because 'grandma is her number one love' -- that's her exact words."