The Truly Twisted Thing Chris Watts Did for His Girls in the Hours Before Murdering Them

Shanann Watts/Facebook

Although Chris Watts was sentenced to to three consecutive life sentences with no possibility of parole on November 14 for the deaths of his wife, unborn child, and two young daughters, people are still haunted by the murders. It's hard to imagine a supposedly loving father strangling and suffocating loved ones as described by the prosecutors in this tragic case. However, new details of his 4-year-old and 3-year-old girls' last hours with their daddy add a chilling layer to their final memories. 

  • Before Bella, 4, and Celeste, 3, were murdered on August 12, Watts took them to a birthday party while he reportedly finalized his plan.

    According to authorities, Shan'ann was out of town on a business trip and wasn't set to return home until early the next morning. New documents reveal that while she was gone, Watts had taken his girls to a pool birthday party on Sunday afternoon. As his little girls swam, he began texting a colleague to start putting his plan in motion.

    New documents reveal that he messaged coworker Kodi Roberts at 5:06 p.m., telling him that he was going to be driving out the next morning to one of the oil fields that his company managed. That's the same location where Shan'ann, Bella, and Celeste's murdered bodies were discovered days later.

  • Advertisement
  • After setting his plan in motion, Watts took his girls home for a family night.

    In an interview with police, Watts said that after the birthday party, he brought Bella and Celeste home for a nice night, complete with pizza, candy, and FaceTime with grandpa.

    According to Watts, he gave both girls showers, dinner, and a bedtime snack. Shanann's father, Frank Rzucek, reportedly told authorities that he FaceTimed with both Watts and Bella as she ate. He is believed to be one of the last people to see her alive. 

  • Watts then reportedly tucked the girls in at 8 p.m. but Bella was anxious for her mommy to get home.

    Watts described Bella getting up twice after he put her to bed, both times asking when Shan'ann would be home. He said that when she woke up, before tucking her back, in he assured his daughter that she'd see mom in the morning.

  • It's also been revealed that the night before, Watts left his girls with a babysitter while he took his mistress out on a date.

    The night before the party, Watts enlisted the birthday boy's older sister to watch his girls. Although he told both the babysitter and her father that he was going to a Rockies game, it's since been revealed that he was actually out with another woman, Nichol Kessinger.

  • After murdering the girls Sunday night and then Shan'ann when she returned home, Watts carried out the rest of his plan.

    The coworker who Watts texted on Sunday told authorities that it was "unusual" that he contacted him over the weekend. However, he said that Watts did show up at the oil field Monday morning. Roberts described Watts as acting normal although he made "multiple" trips to his car. That's because Watts was disposing of his wife and daughters' bodies.

  • Watts began making more chilling plans after his family's bodies were concealed in oil tanks and a shallow grave.

    Weld County Police

    As police began investigating Shan'ann, Bella, and Celeste's disappearances on Monday, Watts went to work and continued texting his mistress. He also reached out to a real estate agent about selling their house and notified the girls' school to inform them that the children wouldn't be enrolling in the fall.