Ever since I read the story of Amiee Langdon, the toddler partially blinded by dog poo, I think about her every time I see a dog's mess left behind somewhere.
There the 2-year-old was just walking along, when she tripped and landed in it. All of a sudden she's infected with toxocariasis and loses 75 percent of her sight in one eye.
It's one of those unfair, preventable tragedies that makes us seethe and worry for our own families.
Today, the 2-year-old is doing fine, though she will likely never be able to drive a car or do many other things she would have been able to do otherwise if it weren't for one person's inconsiderate, lazy decision not to clean up after his or her dog.
But instead of bitterly bemoaning what's been lost, Amiee and her family are working to help prevent the same thing from happening to others.