My Kid Eats Food Off the Floor! Study, Schmudy.

Suzanne Murray
12

Photo by Punkylu78

New study alert! Scientists at San Diego State University say forget everything you've heard about the "5-second rule." It's not okay to let your child eat a piece of food that falls on the floor (or various other places)—no matter how fast you pick it up.

The researchers studied a carrot and a sippy cup after they had been dropped in various places—counter tops, high-chair trays, tile floors, and carpet. They found that the object picked up a significant amount of germs. The most germs were transferred to the carrot from the counter; the most germs were transferred to the sippy cup from the highchair tray. Um, aren't kids supposed to eat off their high-chair trays?

If you care, the researchers say to remind your family that the 5-second rule isn't true and that they shouldn't be eating food that has touched a potentially dirty surface. To keep things clean, disinfect the surfaces in your home with a bleach solution, and sanitize toys and sippy cups with a bleach solution.

The study was funded by The Clorox Company.

Thank you very much, but I'd rather my kid ingest germs than bleach. I also subscribe to the theory that a little dirt is good for kids.

How about you? Are you a clean freak or will you be a "bad mom" like me and give your kids food that falls on the floor?

Related posts:

Play in the Dirt, Baby!

Read More