My major complaint with baked chicken -- it always comes out of the oven tasting like my son's Nerf ball. For me, the words "moist and tender" and "chicken" just don't go together ... until the other night! I found a baked chicken recipe that melted in my mouth.
Not only was it moist but it has fruit. This is my secret weapon in getting my toddler to eat meat: cook it with something sweet and juicy. Of course, it's a challenge not to eat all the dried cherries from the bag as you're cooking this. I could eat those by the bushel ...
Try this easy Baked Chicken with Dried Cherries and Apricots recipe and let me know if it comes out as juicy as mine did.
Baked Chicken with Dried Cherries and Apricots
Prep time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 50 mins.
4 bone-in chicken breasts, skin on
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup dried apricots, sliced
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Rinse and place chicken in a shallow baking dish. Season with oregano, salt and pepper. Spread marmalade over the top.
3. Add orange and apple juices to the dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and sprinkle dried fruit. Return to oven and bake another 25-30 minutes, basting occassionally to brown the top.
5. Let cool and serve sliced, doused in the juices and dried fruit.