It's hard enough to get toddlers to eat. Then throw in certain food allergies like celiac disease and the limited food choices that come with it, and a mom's job gets about a million times tougher.
So I spotted this recipe for Cinnamon Rice Meatballs in the Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Moms to add to the arsenal of choices. The best part is that five meatballs are only 259 calories and 6 grams of fat, so mama can feel good about munching these, too.
Cinnamon Rice Meatballs
Prep time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 45 mins.
1 small onion
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/2 cup + 1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp. celery salt
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. dried mint flakes
1 tbs. dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 x 12 inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
2. Peel off the outer skin of the onion, and chop the rest into very small pieces.
3. In a medium bowl, mix the onion, ground beef, rice 1/2 cup of water, celery salt, salt, pepper, garlic powder, mint and parsley. Mix by hands.
4. With your hands, shape the meat mixture into Ping-Pong sized balls.
5. Place the meatballs in the baking pan.
6. In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon, 1/2 cup of water, and the tomato sauce. Spool this sauce over the meatballs.
7. Cover the baking pan with foil. Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover the pan and bake 15 minutes longer.
Check back next Thursday for another great recipe. Got a favorite toddler friendly meal or snack of your own to share with other idea-strapped mamas? Let me know about it and I may feature it here.
Past Toddler Meals: