I find great Toddler Meals in the strangest places ... the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board people sent me a brochure called "Kitchen Kids," which includes a salacious recipe for Get-Stuffed French Toast.
We're big into breakfast at my house. And when you can stuff some cheese in for an added protein burst, I'm all over it. You can order your own brochure or download the Kitchen Kids PDF for more recipes.
I can't wait to make this French toast ... is it Sunday yet?
Get-Stuffed French Toast
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
1 16-ounce challah or French bread loaf, cubed
1 8-ounce package Havarti cheese, cut into thin slices
6 large eggs
4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 12-ounce jar blueberry preserves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Arrange half of bread cubes in lightly buttered 13x9 backing pan. Top evenly with Havarti; top with remaining bread cubes.
3. Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, butter and maple syrup in a large bowl; pour over bread mixture, pressing bread cubes to absorb egg mixture. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon over the top. Cover baking pan with foil.
4. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 more minutes or until lightly browned and set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
5. Stir together blueberries and blueberry preserves in a small saucepan over low heat until warm. Serve over toast.
Check back next Thursday for another great recipe. Got a favorite toddler friendly meal or snack of your own to share with other idea-strapped mamas? Let me know about it and I may feature it here.
Past Toddler Meals: