I made a breakthrough discovery this week: If you name your baby Kim, they will grow up to love zucchini. How do I know this?
Well, Cafe Kim shared her grandmother's Zucchini Stew receipe with us this week.
And here's kimmykim offering up one of her favorites, Savory Zucchini Pie, a sort of a quiche made with crescent rolls, that her 4 year old and 2 year old gobble right up.
Use reduced fat rolls and cheese to makethe recipe a bit more healthy ...
Savory Zucchini Pie
Prep time: 15 mins.
Cook time: 35 mins.
4 tablespoons butter
4 cups zucchini, sliced and halved if large
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
2 eggs, beaten
1 (8 ounce) tube crescent rolls
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add the zucchini, onion and garlic and cook on medium high heat for 10 minutes, or until onions are translucent and zucchini is soft.
3. Mix in the parsley flakes, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning so that the vegetables are coated well with the seasonings. Turn off the heat and let sit while you prepare the pie plate.
4. To prepare the pie plate, take a large 9 or 10 inch pie pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and line it with the crescent rolls so that there are no holes. You may have to stretch out the crescent rolls and cut them up to make it fit.
5. Once the crescent rolls are covering the bottom of the pie plate, spread the Dijon mustard evenly across the crust. Now stir in one cup of the cheese and then pour the beaten eggs into the zucchini mixture and pour everything into the prepared crust.
6. Sprinkle with remaining one cup of cheese and place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes or until no longer runny. Let cool a few minutes before slicing into it.
Check back next Thursday for another great recipe. Got a favorite toddler friendly meal or snack of your own to share with other idea-strapped mamas? Let me know about it and I may feature it here.
Past Toddler Meals: