You can buy all kinds of sausage -- pork, turkey, vegetarian, even vegan. My own kids love chicken and apple sausages on a bun as an alternative to hot dogs, and I like that they are a bit healthier than the real deal.
Here's a Beans with Sausages recipe that's worth a try from The Silver Spoon for Children: Favorite Italian Recipes, a new cookbook by food writer and mom of three Amanda Grant. The book adapts and diagrams 40 traditional recipes made in almost every household in Italy so they are easy for busy moms to make.
If you have very young toddlers, make sure to remove any skin and cut the sausage up into little chewable bits first.
Beans with Sausage (from The Silver Spoon for Children)
Prep time: 5 mins.
Cook time: 1 hour
8-12 good quality pork sausages (or sub with your favorite)
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp. olive oil
2 fresh sage leaves
15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
scant 1/2 cup apple juice
freshly ground black pepper
1. Turn oven on to 375.
2. Prick sausages all over with a fork. Put into heavy roasting dish, add the whole garlic cloves with the skin left on, and the olive oil.
3. Using oven mitts, place in oven for 20 minutes. The sausages will turn lovely and brown as they cook -- this will help color the beans and the gravy juice later.
4. Take the dish out of the oven, and using tongs or a fork, carefully turn the sausages over. The sausages will go brown on the other side when they go back in the oven.
5. Very carefully spoon out any spare fat that's collected in the bottom of the dish. Coarsely tear the sage and add to the sausages with the canned beans. Add the apple juice and stir.
6. Put back into oven for another 20 minutes until beans are hot and slightly soft. Stir everything with a wooden spoon, and add a little freshly ground black pepper.
Tip: Serve with fresh cooked greens.
Check back next Thursday for another great recipe. Got a favorite toddler friendly meal or snack of your own to share with other idea-strapped mamas? Let me know about it and I may feature it here.
Past Toddler Meals: