Making mac and cheese? Use this instead.
Cafe MicheleZ's friend Elizabeth created a Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes recipe for friends and family at a small birthday gathering recently, and the guests are still talking about how good they were.
The trick is all those breadcrumbs lining the tins, sealing in the cheese and noodles. Plus you quadruple the amount of yummy, carmelized crunch around the sizes.
I can totally see serving these as an alternative to pizza at a toddler bash.
"Now, Johnny, before you get your cupcake you have to eat your cupcake ...."
Macaroni and Cheese Cupcakes
Prep time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 25 mins.
8 ounce box small elbow macaroni
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp. butter
salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cook the macaroni until tender. Drain, toss with a little bit of the oil, and set aside.
3. In a medium nonstick saucepan, whisk together the milk and cornstarch until well blended. Stirring often, bring to a boil over medium heat.
4. Stir in the mustard, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened.
5. Stir in the cheddar until it melts, then fold in the macaroni.
6. Butter two cupcake pans and coat with the bread crumbs. (Be sure to shake off the excess.) You can also use cupcake tins to line.
7. Spoon the macaroni mixture into the pans and top with bread crumbs to taste.
8. Bake until golden on top, 15 to 25 minutes.
C'mon, don't make me come up with these toddler recipes all on my own. I want to know what YOU feed your toddler's for lunch and dinner. Send me a PM and share your recipes so I can feature them here!
Past Toddler Meals: