Photo by 920Wendy
How do I toilet train my toddler? It's one of the most asked questions on CafeMom. There isn't one answer for every toddler, so each week I'll shout out a new success story or quick tips from real moms.
Tip #1: Throw a Potty Party
How better to encourage children than a party! It can be big or small, such as with a playgroup with kids all around the same age or just you and your child.
Here's how you do it:
1. Talk it up all week Be really excited about it! Even if your child is wary at first, excitement is contagious!
2. Wrap gifts for your child to open the first time he sits on the potty or even expresses an interest. Some good gift ideas are a potty chair, big kid underwear, special soap, or a new doll to demonstrate potty time.
3. Make a cake, cupcakes or ice cream sundaes. .. it's just not a party without cake.
4. Decorate Get a few balloons -- wear underwear on your head for party hats!
5. Watch a Potty Training DVD or read a book.
6. Take him with you every time you go to the bathroom. Let him choose to either sit on the potty himself or have his new doll (stuffed animal) sit on the potty.
7. Keep him in underwear, clean up accidents quickly and quietly with "Oops! Let's try to make it to the potty next time!"
8. Make a one-week rewards chart with your child, or buy one and hang it up together. Making a new one each week keeps it fresh and fun. Place a sticker on it every time he hits the target.
9. Pick a special prize for "no accidents in a day" and a larger prize for "no accidents for a week."
I'd love to post your inspiring potty training tales! PM me or leave them here. And I need potty training photos, too! Just download to your page and tag or re-tag them dailybuzz.