In the mood for Mexican tonight, but your toddler's not ready for a hard shell or messy soft tortilla quite yet? Try these Taco Cups from sawakc. You'll get your South of the Border fix, and your toddler will actually be able to eat these soft tacos without hurting her mouth or squishing the meat mixture all over the floor and herself (too much, anyway).
"Mia, 2, is a very picky toddler, but she and my 26 year old boyfriend can't get enough of them," sawakc says. "Mia loves them because she can pick them up with her hands and I love them because they have veggies in them!"
Prep time: 10 mins.
Cook time: 20 mins.
2 tbs cooking or olive oil
1/2 lb ground turkey (you can use beef or sausage as well)
1/4 cup diced onions
1/4 cup diced red pepper
1/4 cup diced green pepper
1/2 can (a little more than 1/2 cup) black beans drained and rinsed
1/2 packet taco seasoning (you can also just add chilli powder, cumin and season salt to taste)
1/4 cup water
1 tube refrigerated biscuits (the small ones that come 10 to a tube)
Shredded cheese of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Brown meat in oil over medium heat, about 5-7 minutes.
3. While meat is browning, line a muffin pan with foil (or spray with cooking spray), and press one biscuit into and up the sides of each cup. (I make two batches of five).
4. When meat is fully cooked (if using sausage or beef you will need to drain excess grease) add onions, peppers, seasoning, water, and beans.
5. Cook over med-high heat until veggies are softened.
6. Spoon meat/veggie mixture into cups, packing them full.
7. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove
from oven and sprinkle with as much cheese as you like.
8. Return to oven for 2 minutes. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
Check back next Thursday for another great recipe. Got a favorite toddler friendly meal or snack of your own to share with other idea-strapped mamas? Let me know about it and I may feature it here.
Past Toddler Meals:
Going to baseball games
Riding bike rides in the nice weather
Playing outside after work/school
Going for walks outside