They may be a bit of a challenge to take care of and all, but have you ever taken a step back and thought about just how amazing your toddler really is?
And I don't mean the fact that you created him and he's the spitting image of you or anything like that. I'm talking about the whole philosophy on life toddlers have -- which is so simple and pure, it's kind of a shame that kids have to lose it once they grow up.
As crazy as it may sound, our lives would probably be much easier as adults if we all acted like little kids once in a while.
Here are eight great lessons we can all learn from our toddlers.
- Being selfish is ok sometimes -- Sure, we need to put others first. But once in a while, it's ok to have a "Mine! Mine!" or "Me! Me!" attitude going on. Make yourself a priority. Because you're worth it.
- It's healthy to cry -- Have you ever noticed how calm your little one becomes after a good old-fashioned temper tantrum? Sometimes kicking, crying, and screaming is the only way to let go of negative energy.
- Fight the urge to "hold it" -- How many times have you kept right on working instead of taking a lunch break, bathroom break, or even just a deep breath? Toddlers pretty much eat, pee, and relax whenever they damn well please. Maybe we should too.
- Stop and smell the roses -- Little kids have a way of appreciating the simplest of things. For example, there's that video going around of the little girl seeing rain for the first time who is amazed by it. There is beauty and wonder all around us. We just need to remind ourselves to pay attention to it.
- Be real -- If a couple of 3-year-olds don't like each other, they're not shy about it. They don't pretend to get along. They don't talk smack about each other behind the other's back. Maybe there would be a lot less gossiping and conflict if adults were honest with one another.
- Take time to recharge -- Ok, so maybe we can't always squeeze a nap in. But just think about what a better mood your toddler is in after catching a few z's in the middle of the day. The laundry can wait. Running errands can wait. Take a breather when you can. You won't regret it.
- It's ok to make a mess -- Even if you don't clean it up. Live your life and enjoy it instead of constantly trying to make every aspect of it picture perfect.
- Forget about what other people think -- Love yourself and be who you are. Don't understand what I mean? Check out this video clip of the cutest little girl ever telling it like it is. It pretty much says it all.
What other lessons has your toddler taught you?
Image via imcountingufoz/Flickr