One of the biggest surprises of first-time parenthood? Yes, the lack of sleep and endless piles of diapers you go through can be a shock. But one thing I didn't expect was that there was no need for cool toys with flashing lights, toggles, and songs to keep my kid occupied. Toddlers can find delight in things you already have in your home. Check out 15 ordinary household objects that will keep your child entertained for hours.
More from The Stir: Computer Games for Kids Are Super Fun & Nothing More
- Flashlight -- that moving beam of light will delight him to no end.
- Strips of tape.
- Egg carton.
- Keys -- no kid can resist that jingle-jangle.
- Candy box.
- Pots and pans -- are the perfect drums.
- Wooden spoons -- they are better than drumsticks and can be banged against just about anything without causing damage.
- Nesting bowls -- little ones love putting them together.
- Measuring spoons -- when attached by a ring, they are a perfect rattle.
- Cardboard box -- climbing into one is an adventure no child can resist.
- Oranges -- ideal for pushing and rolling around the floor.
- Hand vacuum -- mimic mommy and pretend to pick up things from the rug.
- Old phone -- pressing buttons is addictive to a toddler.
- Empty paper towel and toilet paper tubes.
What other household items make great toys for toddlers?
Image via Enokson/Flickr