cookieThere are lot of problematic health statistics and rates we expect to rise. Sadly, childhood obesity is a problem that just keeps getting worse and along with that come a myriad of illnesses no child should have to face. But doctors are noticing another disturbing trend. There is an increase in the number of toddlers coming into ERs suffering from a marijuana overdose.

Kids have gotten into their parent's medical marijuana. Now sold in candy, cookies, brownies, and more, presumably the child cannot recognize it's only for mommy or daddy.

Medical staff at the Banner Poison and Drug Center in Phoenix saw 10 cases in all of 2012. But just six months into 2013, they have already seen that many little patients, several as young as 1. Children's Hospital Colorado, another state where medical marijuana is legal, has also seen a dramatic rise on overdoses among children under 12. They come in with symptoms that vary from listless and loopy to actually being comatose. It's frightening -- and not just for the parents.

In many instances, the doctors initially have no idea what the cause is. They will do a myriad of tests in a desperate attempt to figure out the ailment. When that fails, they order a drug scan, something kids typically don't receive.

Doctors say the solution is more secure packaging and warning labels. But honestly, preventing this is the parent's responsibility. Where people are so careful to put other prescription medications high up in medicine cabinet, they seem to be more lax about this drug. That's especially dangerous considering these pot-laced products look just like the snacks kids love and are usually allowed to have. I know a lot of people think marijuana is harmless, but these cases should show that is just not the case when it comes to kids.

WFSB 3 Connecticut

Do you think parents are to blame for this?