Mom Jodie Sykes was recently at a hospital where her partner was being seen by doctors. She and her 2 year-old son, Alfie Jackson were in a nearby waiting room when all of a sudden she saw the boy's mouth covered with blood.
He hadn't hit it or otherwise injured it, but rather, he had picked up a syringe that was filled with some unknown person's blood and then put his hand in his mouth. Horrified doesn't even begin to describe what she must have been feeling.
She told The Huddersfield Daily Examiner, "
There was a syringe filled with blood and my son got hold of it. We turned around and he put his hand full of blood into his mouth. I screamed ‘put it down’ and he started crying. I was absolutely petrified that he could catch something or get a disease as it was someone else’s blood.
As bad as that is, however, it gets worse. While he was not stabbed as there was no needle in the syringe, his parents now have to wait three months to find out if has contracted any horrible or life-threatening diseases. "No one can tell me if that was clean, if it wasn't diseased or infected."
She said no one seemed all that concerned either, as a doctor just cleaned him up with wet wipes. It wasn't until talking to another doctor the next day that she learned there was a procedure that should have been followed. Immediately he was treated for hepatitis, and blood was taken for tests. But still they have to wait for the results.
The hospital, the Huddersfield Royal Infirmary in the UK, has since apologized and is looking into their procedures, but that certainly doesn't help this family now. Hopefully all the tests will come back fine, but the wait until then is surely going to be excruciating.
Has your child ever come into contact with something so potentially dangerous?
Image via zaldylmg/Flickr