The following video is pretty difficult to watch because it so dramatically captures the fear of a mother and father when their 2-year-old daughter suddenly fell unconscious and stopped breathing during a random trip to the grocery store. Fortunately, there was a happy ending, but before that, it's the stuff of parental nightmares.
According to Nine News, Amy Collard was shopping last Sunday at a local grocery store in Perth, Australia. When her daughter, Shaylar, went limp, she panicked and frantically started asking people around her for help. At one point in the footage (captured by the store's security camera), you see her run outside to get her husband. Nothing, including the Heimlich Maneuver, works, and it appears they're losing her.
That's when Rowan O'Neill, a fellow shopper, sprang into action. He laid the girl down on the checkout counter and started doing mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. Amazingly, it worked. Take a look.
Incredible, right? I think as parents we can all imagine just how helpless and terrified these parents must have felt, and then the immense sense of relief and joy when they saw her breath again.
More from The Stir: Hero Marine Veteran Draws Gun & Calmly Saves Woman From Her Attacker (VIDEO)
O'Neill didn't have to step in help; many would be scared to do so. He's truly a hero, and a great example of why we should all learn CPR. Seeing Shaylar's parents hug him is just incredibly powerful. If not for him, their daughter may have died, and there's simply no adequate way to express gratitude for a gift like that.
As for why the girl passed out, doctors believe it was due to a high fever. After spending the night in the hospital, she was sent home, and is doing well now. Thank goodness for heroes.
Have you ever had to rely on a stranger to help your child?
Image via Nine News
Going to baseball games
Riding bike rides in the nice weather
Playing outside after work/school
Going for walks outside