It was little Cayden Bibeau's 2nd birthday party. His family and friends were gathered to celebrate, and after he blew out the candles on his Elmo birthday cake, everyone was ready to dig into the sugary goodness. Only when they went to cut into it, what they found baked inside of the cake was anything but sweet -- a knife.
It appears that somewhere in the production of the cake, which came from a Walmart in Lewiston, Maine, a paring knife was left behind in it. What a big, huge bummer. Of course, no one wanted to eat the cake after that, but what the parents did next was ridiculous.
They canceled the whole darn party right then and there. Cayden's father told WGME he was so "disappointed and upset" they may even sue the super store because that knife "put a dampener" on everything.
Even more dramatically, he added, "We're not going to get that second birthday back ever."
Seriously, dude? I can imagine it was disappointing, and hey, I like cake too. But to have your son's birthday party ruined by such a little thing is ridiculous. Mistakes happen. He could have run out to the store and been back with a new one, and even if it wasn't Elmo, everyone would have been just as happy with anything coated in buttercream. It's not like it was a dead rat or something else incredibly disgusting in there -- it was a knife. I suppose someone could have gotten hurt, but it would have had to be a gigantic bite of cake for someone not to notice a knife in there.
It's unfortunate, but ... get over it. Parenting is filled with so many huge ups and downs, mistakes and missteps, that if you allow something like this to completely ruin a special day, you're in for a long and hard journey. Walmart apologized and offered to give them a refund and says they've made changes in their cake production process, which should be enough. Unfortunately, for some people, nothing ever is.
Do you think this family is overreacting? What would you do if this happened to you?
Image via WGME-TV