Toddler Swallows 42 Refrigerator Magnets & Has to Have Them Surgically Removed

OMG 35

refrigerator magnetsToddlers. They're always finding novel and thrilling ways to flirt with danger. Today's disaster story is about the toddler who swallowed 42 refrigerator magnets and had to have them surgically removed. Forty-two magnets! Apparently his mother discovered what happened when she walked into the kitchen and noticed all the refrigerator magnets were missing.

Where could they have gone? In her 12-month-old's mouth, naturally. Sure enough, when she rushed her son to the hospital, x-rays revealed the 42 magnets in his digestive system. It would be a funny story, except that magnets can be incredibly dangerous to swallow.

There's the choking hazard, of course. But worse, magnets in the belly can become trapped and cause infection, perforations, blockage, poisoning, or death. Some may contain lead. So they're not the kind of thing you just allow to work their way through the system.

More from The Stir: Dad Sticks Baby in Washing Machine in Joke That Goes Horribly Wrong (VIDEO)

I know what you're all thinking right now: Those magnets shouldn't have been within reach on the refrigerator door in the first place! I wonder if the toddler's mom just forgot to child-proof her home again once her son started walking. It's an easy mistake to make, and I feel for this poor mother. But if anything, child-proofing becomes more important once your child is a toddler. Kids who can walk can reach a whole lot more than they could when they were babies. And they're still obsessed with putting everything into their mouths, even if it looks nothing like food.

Anyway, thank goodness the toddler survived. I'm sure having surgery at such a young age wasn't great for him, but I'm glad he's all right now. No doubt his parents are keeping a sharper eye out now.

Has your child ever swallowed anything dangerous?

 

Image via Subharnab/Flickr

in the news, safety

35 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

doodledo doodledo

Thankfully my child has never swallowed anything dangerous. I wonder how long it takes a year old to swallow 42 magnets? You would think after the first couple the kid would realize they didnt taste so great anf stop eating them? I cant imagine a one year old eating 42 of anything!

2cent... 2centsCDN

I wasn't thinking about the magnets being on the fridge, I am wondering how long the mom was out of the room for? The linked story says the toddler was 12 months. How does a baby have that much time alone in a kitchen to eat 42 magnets?

jalaz77 jalaz77

I was asking the same thing as the above posters. Where was the parent while this kid was swalling that many magnets? This could of killed him, could of pinched off blood supply to the bowel or choked. Unreal. I would be embarrassed if that were my kid. !st the magnets are that easily reached and 2nd, the parent(s) were gone for a crazy amount of time.

kjbug... kjbugsmom1517

I agree with previous posters. Where was the mother? 42 is ALOT of magnets. Now if he had been swallowing them one or 2 here and there then bam there gone oh no where r they i could see that being a likely scenerio but still. Man.. could have been such a tragic end

gridi... gridironsmom

Forbid mom had to go to the bathroom....

Mom2f... Mom2fourlove

Really^^ how long does it take you to go to the bathroom?? And not only that 12 months old my baby would be in a playpen crib or highchair

Mom2f... Mom2fourlove

Really^^ how long does it take you to go to the bathroom?? And not only that 12 months old my baby would be in a playpen crib or highchair

corri... corrinacs

I'm with you mom2fourlove.  If I go to the bathroom, I put him up somewhere or heck, bring him with me!  Its much easier than taking him to the ER because he did something.  Like swallow 42 magnets!

amiec... amiecanflie

Maybe they were the very small kind? Baby could've taken fistfuls and mom could've been busy. It only takes a minute. 


 

tyrel... tyrelsmom

My baby ate half a crayon once before I realized. And a couple beads. Neither of which are supposed to be within her reach, but sometimes her older siblings don't clean up great.

1-10 of 35 comments 1234 Last
F