Restaurant Serves 3-Year-Old Turkey Sandwich Containing Shards of Glass

OMG 11

turkey sandwichApparently Subway is not having the best week ever. First there was the lawsuit over those 11-inch foot-long sandwiches, now there's the mom who claims her 3-year-old daughter ate a Subway turkey sandwich with shards of glass in it. Now that's something lawsuit-worthy (an inch-less sandwich, really?!).

According to her mom, the little girl "suffered cuts to the roof of her mouth, cheek, and tongue after eating half a six-inch turkey sandwich from Subway last week." Luckily an ultrasound ruled out any internal damage -- not to imply that there's anything "lucky" about getting a mouthful of glass at lunch, but still. It's also a good thing the kid stopped eating after a mere three inches, as her mom (together with a doctor) discovered SEVEN MORE pieces of glass in the remaining sandwich.

YIKES.

As a mom, this story terrifies me -- not because the sandwich came from Subway, because I never go there anyway, but because it serves as a reminder that whenever we serve our kids food we didn't prepare ourselves (sometimes even food we DID prepare ourselves), there's an element of risk.

Like when my daughter was about 2 years old, and she got salmonella from a container of pre-cut cantaloupe chunks. I won't mention the name of the establishment where we purchased the melon, but I will say it's a store known for its high standards and one I still shop at regularly. Sure, I avoided the cantaloupe for a few years as a result, but the fact is this sort of thing can happen anywhere, anytime, to anyone. Life is full of risks, even seemingly low-risk lives which involve plenty of precautions (and even paranoia). And sometimes we don't realize the risk factor (or care) until we have kids. At which point we might want to lock ourselves and our children in the closet for safekeeping, but obviously we can't.

I feel for the mom of the girl who ate glass, because life will be extra-scary for a little while. But I'm sure someday she'll eat another turkey sandwich. Maybe not from Subway, though.

What's the scariest thing you've ever found in your kid's food?

 

Image via BrownGuacamole/Flickr

in the news, safety