When my twins turned 2, I braced myself. I thought this was going to be it. The time that breaks me. When my kids test every possible limit I thought I had. Where the days end without much to eat, tantrum after tantrum, and a puddle of tears -- all my own.
Maybe it's all going to come crashing down when they turn 3, maybe I'm just thankful I have two littles who do cause chaos -- the most beautiful chaos I've ever known. But the terrible 2s have so far been terrific. Yes, there were things I feared about having a 2-year-old and those things did happen, but there are so many more amazing things going on, too. Here are 12 reasons the terrible 2s are anything but.
- They learn how to say I love you. And when you hear them say it, it's feels like your heart is the brightest rainbow with a unicorn dancing over it trailing a cloud of flowers.
- Sometimes, they start missing you when you leave. Of course you don't want your child to cry when you leave the house, but there is a sweetness when you know they miss you -- that they love you THAT much that they want you and only you. Gah! Pass the tissues!
- But sometimes, they don't even notice that you left. Or they adapt very quickly. Which helps with that guilty feeling that we sometimes get. Which makes it easier to have a little me-time.
- They talk! Their communication skills start increasing all through the 2s so you how they are feeling without having to guess and you can have actual conversations.
- They say hilarious things. My daughter busted out with "ABCDEFG spells constipation" the other day.
- They are no longer wobbly on their feet, which means you don't have to freak out every time they move. And thank goodness because all those soft-foam edge protectors you have all over the house are now being picked off by those little hands.
- It's one of the most adorable things to watch them pretend play. Watching my son tuck the baby doll into her own bed and then go to the play kitchen to make cookies is better than watching The Bachelorette. And I love my Bachelorette.
- They sing! The ABCs (without the constipation part) are always fun but my daughter knows a lot of the words to Baby Beluga and we harmonize off-key so beautifully.
- They make art! Yes sometimes it's doodles on the walls but that's what washable crayons are for! Plus, the kids' artwork looks much better on the fridge than those ironic magnets you bought before you were a parent.
- You are now free to act like a 2-year-old and giggle and tickle anytime and the house can erupt in adorable fits of laughter. How joyful is that?!
- Most of the cutest kid dancing videos out there are when the child is in the 2s. Now you can make your own!
- Two-year-olds are still small enough to still carry but not too small to walk. The options are there and it always brings a smile to my face when my daughter asks me to wear her as a backpack.
What is your favorite thing about the "terrible 2s"?
Image via Jessica.Tam/Flickr