You might want to consider adding a parrot to your list of childproofing supplies. This week, a babysitter's talking parrot saved the life of a choking 2-year-old girl in Denver.
While the sitter was in the bathroom, the sitter told CBS4Denver.com, "Willie started screaming like I'd never heard him scream before and he started flapping his wings. Then he started saying 'mama baby' over and over and over until I came out. Hannah's face was turning blue because she was choking on her pop tart."
The sitter performed the Heimlich and dislodged the food. The little girl is fine.
Searching around, I also found a 2007 story about a parrot who imitated a fire alarm to save his family from a burning house. The parrot, Peanut, sqawked the alarm while family members were napping on the couch. They all escaped unharmed, though several rooms burned.
Do you have superpets in your households? What brave feats or amazing gestures have they made to help you or your family?