The YouTube video of the toddler stomping in his squeaky shoes is making the omigodisn'tthisfunny rounds, and I can't help but feel sorry for his parents. Sure, we think it's cute. But we can turn it on and off. Parents of toddlers know the repetition of cute things gets old, then we snap.
In fact, there are a number of those cute things that can make you want to run screaming from the playroom. Twenty, for starters.
If you haven't had a toddler yet, or it has been awhile since your senses have been assaulted, you may look at this list and think, "How mean! You should enjoy every second of your baby's life!" However, if you're in the thick of it, you too will understand why these toddler traits are more grating than all of those campaign ads we just stopped fast-forwarding.
- Constant demanding of entertainment that requires your involvement
- Asking "Why?" followed by, "Why?"
- Inability to grasp subtlety
- Lack of volume control
- Inept at getting food from plate to mouth consistently
- Grabby -- whether it's noses, butts, or dog's butts
- Tactless in their honesty
- Don't understand the concept of money
- Center-of-the-universe syndrome
- Not using their words, i.e., hitting, biting
- Prolific neck cheese growers
- Bad taste in music & television
- Too lazy to walk more than a few blocks without stroller assistance
- Don't know how to relax
- Give in to their underdeveloped circadian rhythms
- Emotional outbursts for no good reason
- Dangerously curious
- Bad timing
- Overpowering cuteness/ability to get "their way"
What's the most annoying thing your toddler does?
Image via LaurenV/Flickr