How many stories can we hear in one day where someone was careless with an exotic pet, a bad dog owner, or simply in the wrong place at the wrong time resulting in another toddler becoming a victim? A lot.
Toddlers are curious and fast and don't have an understanding of boundaries. Judging by these stories, some of which just happened yesterday, too many dog owners (and zoo owners) are irresponsible or neglectful. That's a tragic mix.
We have a dog in the house, but I would never let our mellow, gentle, cocker spaniel hang out with my son without my supervision. Horrible things can happen in the blink of an eye, just like these stories recently in the news:
- Yesterday a toddler was mauled by a dog, reportedly a stray, and rushed to the hospital. The 22-month-old's father posted on the local news site in Lexington, Kentucky, that the little boy had 14 stitches.
- A similar incident was happening yesterday across the pond as a UK toddler was knocked to the ground by two small dogs and bitten repeatedly. This time, the dogs were off-leash in a park and their owner, a middle-aged woman, simply put the leashes back on and left.
- An adult tiger rattlesnake escaped from Zoo Atlanta last week, and a 2 1/2-year-old boy found it on his doorstep. Luckily his mom was fast in grabbing him, and his dad was faster in killing one of the most venomous snakes at the zoo that was in their neighborhood.
- Meanwhile at a Florida zoo, a gibbon escaped and headed over to the tiger cage to make some noise. The gibbon riled up a Bengal tiger so much, he was able to jump his fence and come face-to-face with a 2-year-old. Again, a quick-thinking mom snatched up her daughter and slowly walked away before the wild animal could have the little girl for lunch.
- A 19-month-old boy is still in the hospital after being mauled by a dog in Sioux City, Iowa, last week. He suffered collapsed lungs, fractured ribs, 45 puncture wounds, and multiple internal injuries.
These are just incidents that happened within the past few days.
Only a month ago, a 2-year-old boy was mauled to death in his own home in San Diego by the family dog. They had a shepherd mix that had been in the home for six months.
Do these stories scare the crap out of you?
Image via Mark Watson/Flickr