Flickr: Photo by DraconianRainMoms of toddlers know that pretty much anything a toddler finds is going to end up in his or her mouth. What many may not know, however, is that one small pill of some popular medications can kill their child.
Recently, the Pediatric Emergency Medicine Practice published a list of more than 35 deadly medications.
I'm pretty much a safety nut, so I was shocked to see things on the list like aspirin, antidepressants, and even muscle rubs like Vicks VapoRub or Ben-Gay that contain the drug Camphor (just one teaspoon can be deadly!). Even nasal sprays and eye drops can be deadly.
These medications are found everywhere -- from our own homes to the purses and pockets of those who visit us. And hile most of us know to keep our medications out of the reach of children, how easy for just one little pill to roll on to the floor, into a corner where only little eyes look.
I'm embarrassed to admit how many things I've had to pull out my daughter's mouth in the 14 months since she was born: Legos, leaves, pieces of paper, a flower, dirt. It happens in an instant, but feels like slow motion as I run to stop her. Often, I've been too late, but relieved that she didn't choke, and we move on.
But if a child swallows one of these medications, there is often no moving on. And even scarier is that you may not even know he or she swallowed it, until it's too late.
"They may look okay for now, but they're not," said Dr. Henry Spiller, director of the Kentucky Regional Poison Center in Louisville, told ABC News. "Within two hours, we have seen patients go from ingestion to death -- even after taking only one to two pills."
Hugging my babies tighter tonight and cleaning my floors a lot more often ...
If you believe your child has ingested a medication, call 911 or the Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) immediately.