Man in Coma After Suffering Massive Shock From Charging iPhone

iphoneAt first we thought it was a fluke. But now a second person has been shocked after answering their charging iPhone. First, we had the poor woman who died weeks before her wedding after getting electrocuted by her iPhone; now we're hearing about a man who has been in a coma since July 8 after doing the same thing.

What is going on? And how do we prevent this from happening to us?

Advertisement

Both incidents happened in China, and the one thing they have in common is that they were both using chargers that were not Apple certified. Wu Jiantong thankfully didn't die from electrocution, but he was shocked badly and was found on the floor by his sister, shaking and with purple lips. He remains in a coma.

Apparently, knock-off chargers sold by third parties are fairly common in China. And it's easy to understand why. Legitimate Apple chargers cost around $39 or more (the wall outlet and cable are sold separately), where a knock-off charger can be sold for $3.50 or less.

I think the lesson here is when it comes to iPhone parts, it's not worth it to skimp. I agree, $40 for a phone charger is absolutely ridiculous, but with two reported incidents of shock -- one resulting in death -- it's best to just spend the extra money. Thoughts and prayers to both families. What tragedies.

What do you think of this? Do you have a knock-off charger for your phone?


Image via Yutaka Tsutano/Flickr

Read More >

iphone