Well, this is unsettling. A 23-year-old woman who was set to get married on August 8 died after answering her iPhone 5 that was in the process of being charged. Ma Ailun died via electrocution on Thursday, and according to a local official, the woman's "neck had an obvious electronic injury."
Pretty terrifying for anyone who's ever answered their iPhone mid-charge. But before you throw your phone out the window, you should know that this is extremely rare (as in this is the first news report of this happening). But there were a few factors that may have contributed to this poor woman's death.
For one, Ailun was reportedly using a non-Apple charger. Uncertified chargers are apparently widespread in China, and according to the China Consumers' Association, they can turn an iPhone into a "pocket grenade". Also, the woman had left her bathtub to answer her phone, which very likely could have reduced her resistance to being electrocuted. And lastly, some are speculating that Ailun's death may have been a result of a failure of electrical insulation, which may have been caused by the extremely hot climate in Xingiang, which is where the she lived. But, strange confluence of events aside, a writer for the Atlantic Wire said of the incident: "The likelihood of electrocution by iPhone is very, very low. It takes a lot of very particular circumstances that unfortunately transpired for Ma Ailun."
In other words, despite this being horrible and really scary, there's no need to be freaked out that this is going to happen to you, if you're following proper precautions with your phone.
A spokesperson for Apple China said: "We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter."
Thoughts and prayers to Ma Ailun's family. Truly a tragedy.
What do you think of this?
Image via Matthew Pearce/Flickr