It's gross that the word "selfie" even exists, but it does and that's something we're all going to have to deal with/explain to our grandchildren. For those of you lucky enough to not have the faintest idea what a "selfie" is, allow me enlighten you: It's a picture you take of yourself with your phone. They're all the rage these days with the kids.
No, but seriously, even if you didn't know there was a term for it, I'm sure you yourself have taken a selfie. Maybe you posted it to Facebook? Maybe you sent it to a friend? Maybe it's the screensaver on your iPhone? I don't know! But I do know some tips for looking good in a selfie, and I'm happy to share.
Here are 8 tips for looking hot in a selfie.
1. Lighting is everything. I'm sure you know that this rings true for all photos, but in selfies, it's doubly true. Bathrooms are horrible places to take selfies. Lighting behind you is great for selfies.
2. Don't look so serious. Sure, there's something a little weird about seeming like you're laughing and having the time of your life when it's just you and your iPhone, but you know what's weirder? Making a sexy face to your iPhone.
3. Go big. I mean, getting super dolled up for the sole purpose of standing in your kitchen and taking a photo is completely asinine, but if you're already gussied, take a pic. Images fall flat on camera, so a lot of mascara will only go a little way.
4. Turn the flash off. If you're taking a picture of yourself in the mirror, turn the flash off for god's sake! The only thing that will come out is a giant ball of light.
5. Filter. Filter, filter, filter! If you have no time for makeup or hair or any of that crap, the best way to look good in a selfie is to filter the ever-living crap out of it. There are a million filtering apps on the market, but Instagram, Hipstamatic, and Retro Camera are a few.
6. Hold your phone up. Yes, it's the classic selfie shot, but there's a reason -- it's super flattering and slimming!
7. Take your phone cover off. Even though your case has a hole for the camera, the picture quality is much better without it on. Apparently, the lens catches the camera focus in the periphery, making the image slightly less clear.
8. Don't pose. Be it duck face, sticking your hand on your hip, or jutting a leg out Angelina Jolie-style, posing is awkward. When you look good, you look good because of who you are -- not because of how you're standing.
Do you have any tips for taking a good selfie?
Image via juliejordanscott/Flickr