Whoa, so, the Twitter-verse basically blew up during last night's first Presidential debate in Denver. The event turned out to be the most tweeted-about event in U.S. politics. As in, EVER. Twitter even reported that there were over 10 million tweets during the debate. Yeesh! But more entertaining news, perhaps, is just how many of those tweets happened to be about what may have been the most hilarious, entertaining moment of the whole debate ...
Likely not intended to be a "zinger," Romney confessed, "I'm sorry, Jim, I'm going to stop the subsidy to PBS. I like PBS. I love Big Bird. I like you too! But I'm not going to keep on spending money on things to borrow money from China to pay for." Aaaaand there goes the toddler vote! But no, seriously, Twitter said that shortly after Romney's remarks, users were posting 17,000 tweets per minute (!!!) mentioning Big Bird. Here, the best of the best ...
1. "Look what Mitt Romney has done to me... twitpic.com/b0syqt." -@FiredBigBird (one of the hilarious spoof accounts that popped up)
2. "I wonder if Mitt and Ann Romney are going to celebrate tonight by eating, say, Big Bird." -@NickKristof
3. "Wait. What the hell did I do? - Big Bird" -Actress @Brittanysnow
4. "Mitt Romney will end Burt and Ernie's right to a civil union. Debates
#PresidentialDebate2012 #BigBird" -@BigBirdRomney
5. "Who woulda guessed that Big Bird would be this debate's Joe the Plumber? Viewers like you? #denverdebate." -@acarvin
6. "IF WE TURNED BIG BIRD INTO MOLE, HE WOULD FEED MILLIONS" -@MexicanMitt
#PBS, (0.012%) of budget, to balance the Federal budget is like deleting a text message to free up space on your 64Gb iPhone….." -@BigBirdRomney
8. "Look what Mitt Romney just texted me. Is this a threat or something ya weasel?
#BigBird #TeamBigBird pic.twitter.com/cB3pdw5p" -@BigBirdRomney
9. "Opa Big Bird style...." -@BigBirdRomney (Do the ride-'em-cowboy move!)
10. Last but certainly not least ... "Word.
#OccupySesameStreet #TeamBigBird pic.twitter.com/mvFnnxLN" -@BigBirdRomney
What has been your favorite tweet or meme about Big Bird so far?
Image via Steve Winton/Flickr