Facebook Chooses Obama as the Next President of the United States

Tech Talk 67

obamaIf it were up to everybody's favorite social network -- yes, Facebook -- President Obama would mop the floor with Mitt Romney come November and retain his position as the President of the United States. Boom, sucka. Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Mittens!

Forbes recently made the realization that (at the time) Obama's official Facebook page has 28.5 million fans, while Romney's has a measly 6.6 million -- haha, burnt again, Mitt! And then a company called Compass Labs expounded upon this discovery, breaking down what an Obama fan "likes" exactly, what a Romney fan "likes", and where the two meet in the middle. Hint: both conservatives and liberals are Bradley Cooper fans. Weird.

Apparently, Obama fans are video gamers, meditators, and jigsaw-puzzle enthusiasts -- respectively. And they also enjoy the movies The Blind Side and Fast and Furious. Romney-ites are more partial to Atlas Shrugged, 17 Miracles, and The Sound of Music. And they also appear to be older, quilters, gun enthusiasts, churchgoers, and Fox News watchers. However, the two groups meet in the middle via their love for Target, The Hangover, and Family Guy.

More from The Stir: Democrats Trump Republicans in Representing America

The one edge Romney fans seem to have over Obama fans, though, is they apparently are more "engaged" than their more liberal counterparts on Facebook. They seem to share, comment, and "like" more on certain political subjects. So, there's that.

Is this research at all indicative of whose regime will reign supreme come November? Hard to say. I mean, I don't think it's crazy to surmise that the younger, more tech-obsessed generation skews a bit to the left, correct? So, it's no surprise that Obama is "ahead" in such a medium? On the other hand, though, aren't pretty much all people on Facebook these days -- no matter what their demographic?

Guess we'll just have to wait a few more months to find out ... until then, what do you say we all just play FarmVille together?

Do you think this research is an indication of who will win the 2012 election?

 

Image via aflcio/Flickr

facebook, 2012 election

67 Comments

To add a comment, please log in with

Use Your CafeMom Profile

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Join CafeMom or Log in to your CafeMom account. CafeMom members can keep track of their comments.

Comment As a Guest

Guest comments are moderated and will not appear immediately.

lorel... lorelei10

Most republicans cant use the internet XD

Saerise Saerise

"A man who is always ready to believe what is told him will never do well." --Petronius

Elise N Hoffman

I mean, you realize that Obama has international recognition that Mitt doesn't have yet, right? You know that half of his FB followers probably aren't eligible to vote. Maybe more. And until recently, Mitt was only one of several Republican candidates for President. So... Not to burst your bubble, but Obama's FB rating vs Mitt's? Utterly irrelevant.

In addition, it was recently revealed that 31% of Obama's Twitter followers were fake, while only 16% of Romney's are. Another 39% of the President's Twits are inactive, whereas only 31% of Romney's are. In total, over 70% of Obama's Twitter followers are... well... not following him, really. If his Facebook following has a similar composition... You do the math.

Linda Liskawa Seebock

I sure hope that is wrong....... Obama is no leader, for example, look what is happeing in the middle east right now.... Everyone hates us... 4 more years with Obama could destroy us as a country....

Lee Woodard

of course his poularity might be because team donkey bout 26 million facebook likes. yea, thats right you can buy poularity in facebook just like you do in politics

Sabrina J Gray

I know we disagree but watch this and tell me what you think... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaQNACwaLw&feature=related
Because I love my country and my people!!

Anita Deal

If you believe in social media polls, http://www.isidewith.com/results/26. Libertarian candidate, Gary Johnson, would be in second place not Romney.

61-67 of 67 comments First 34567