10 Places Too Awkward to 'Check In' on Facebook or Anywhere Else
Checking in. Do you do it? I'm sure you must have before. No, I'm not talking about that occasional 8 p.m. phoner to your sister seeing what she's up to. I'm talking Facebook. Foursquare. Instagram. Telling people exactly where you are, you know, like a local coffee shop, bar, or store, and posting about what it is you're doing there.
I do it. I love it, actually. Living in a big city, a check-in helps me keep track of where I've been. Also, apps like Foursquare enable me to locate new places and make lists of where I want to go. Let's be real, though, there are some places you just don't check in. Do you really want your mother-in-law seeing you're at the pawn shop selling off Grandma's gold bracelet? Eeeesh, probably not.
Thus I present you with 10 places you most definitely should NEVER check in:
1. The gynecologist: Why yes, I did get tested for HPV today. How did you know?! ... Oh.
2. Your residence: Not so smart to let strangers know where you sleep, hang, and do your personal business.
3. Six ice cream places ... in one day: Do you really want to come off as a fatty-no-friends? I mean listen, I too LOVE ice cream. Perhaps just check in to the BEST one. Pinkberry, anyone?
4. Psych ward: Have fun explaining this one to your parents.
5. ANY bar after 11 p.m. on a work night: Oh sure, because it's always fun for your boss to KNOW you're hungover sitting five feet away from one another the next morning.
6. Alcoholics Anonymous: Something best kept private, don't you think?
7. Anywhere on a "sick day": Don't rat yourself out!
8. A funeral home: I'm pretty positive there are more important things for you to be doing at a funeral home than playing on a smartphone.
9. The airport: You may as well hand over the keys to your house to every stranger with access to a computer.
10. Jail: Well, this is just awkward.
Do you check in?
Image via lululemon athletica/Flickr
Piping Hot Posts