12 Steps to Spring-Clean Your Facebook Friend List
As far as Facebook horror stories go, I thought I had heard it all. That is, until, I read about a military wife who found out about her husband's death via Facebook. Then, I realized -- the scope of trouble with Facebook is almost beyond repair. Short of completely cancelling your account, what are you supposed to do to avoid the drama and insanity? Well, you can always gut edit your Facebook friend list!
A couple of real-life friends and I were discussing this the other day, and one of them said she actually has certain criteria by which she denies a friend request or defriends someone. Very wise! Here, 12 types to spring-clean off of your unwieldy Facebook friend list (or avoid friending altogether), so your account is toxic "friend"-free!
- The long-time-no-see. If you haven't seen the person in person for YEARS (you set the cutoff), you might want to think twice about friending them or keeping them as a friend.
- The stranger-in-person. Someone who is always "liking" your statuses or interacting with you online, but the minute they run into you in real life, they act like a stranger.
- The one-night stand. Could be someone you really only slept with once and ended up friending or that person you met at that work event or wedding who you haven't spoken to (and don't care to speak to) since.
- The bully. Everyone has at least a handful of these people from grade school who were never even your friend decades ago. So why are they your pseudo-"friend" now?
- The then/now psycho. If they used to be a basketcase or have recently become a basketcase (you know, moody status updates galore), it's probably best to axe 'em.
- The staunchly political type. You probably have never seen eye-to-eye with this person, but you thought you might be able to at least have a civil relationship via social media. ENNNHHH! Wrong! They're ultimately going to pollute your News Feed. Skip!
- The toxic ex. If they're more (condescending, troublemaking, irritating) ex than friend, DELETE.
- Someone you used to know. Like Gotye's song, but less emotional. If you can't remember how you know someone, they don't belong on your Facebook friend list.
- The referral. Someone a mutual friend introduced you to way back whenever who you never interact with and who contributes nothing of value to your News Feed. Gone!
- The old co-worker. Face it -- ever since you stopped running into one another in the office lounge, you have nothing to say. If they need to contact you for networking purposes, they can do so via LinkedIn.
- Your old boss. Same as #10.
- Your current boss. This is playing with fire. AVOID.
More from The Stir: 10 Ridiculously Funny Facebook Fails
What are some other Facebook friend types you've defriended or refused to friend in the first place?
Piping Hot Posts