It's no doubt that social networking websites have single-handedly changed the way we interact with each other. While Facebook may be the first life-altering site to come to mind, there are others that have made their mark in their own special way. Here are five examples of some of the hottest social networking websites right now and what makes them so popular:
- MySpace: Oh yes, this social networking website is still out there, though it mainly consists of pre-teens, glittered fonts, underground bands, and Tom.
- Twitter: A social network website that forces you to relay your thought, circulate a link, or give a shout out in under 140 characters. It has become one of the biggest news sources thanks to its instantaneous updates and viral tendencies, and everyone from your next door neighbor to your teen to your favorite celebrity can micro-blog their thoughts through the quick status updates. It even has its own lingo for interaction between users. Go ahead, follow me.
- LinkedIn: Once you reach a certain age and maturity, you may want to join LinkedIn (I just joined about two weeks ago). It's a social networking website for professionals, where you can beef up your contact list, get recommendations from past employers, and connect with those your industry.
- StumbleUpon: A social bookmarking site, it allows users to post their favorite sites, using tags (aka keywords) to categorize and organize them. Other users can add them to their own collection or share them. It's like passing around a link via email to your friends but without that annoyingly long email chain that tends to ensue afterward. Though I must warn you, it's very easy to spend hours on this site -- it's programmed to show you stories of things that interest you.
- CafeMom: I saved the best for last. Just kidding. (Okay, not really. We actually are the best.) CafeMom is, well, you're on it. We here at The Stir are the blog for the website targeted to moms. While our blog is open to the public, you must be a member (sorry, moms only ... but it's free!) to enjoy the social networking perks that include over 70,000 groups on every topic imaginable (there's even one called LOLcats), Q&As between moms, games, journals, and more.
What's your favorite social networking website?
Images via CafeMom.com, Twitter.com, Facebook.com, LinkedIn.com, StumbleUpon.com, MySpace.com