When I think golf, I almost immediately think of Tiger Woods. Don't you? Going into the 2012 Masters tournament at Augusta National Golf Club, he was clearly a crowd fave. But eeeek -- sorry, Tiger -- it seems that this year's polo-wearing spectators are roaring for another head honcho: Phil Mickelson.
The 41-year-old golfer is hands down one of the most accomplished players of his era, with three prior Masters wins. After a lackluster start to Saturday's 18 holes, Mickelson channeled his inner golf god to come back to second place, one behind leader Peter Hanson. Wowza! One day of play left, and things are HEATING up!
I love me an underdog. I also love me a man who makes people realize there IS more to golf than Tiger. But you know what? I don't know too much about this studly looking father of three. So naturally what's a woman to do? Some research.
Check out 8 interesting things to know about Phil Mickelson:
1. Phil was born in San Diego, California.
2. He's known for the fact that he swings lefty even though he's right-handed. The funny part? He's probably the best left-handed golfer the sport's ever seen. People actually refer to him as Lefty! I love it.
3. He went to college on a full golf scholarship to Arizona State University.
4. To date, Phil has had 36 tournament wins in his career.
5. Phil married his wife Amy, a former cheerleader for the Phoenix Suns, in 1992.
6. Phil's wife Amy was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009, and immediately after hearing the news -- Phil took a leave of absence from golf. Thankfully, the cancer was found early, and after undergoing extensive treatment, Amy returned greenside in 2010 to watch him win his third Masters.
7. Phil has his own charity with Amy, the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation, which supports a variety of youth and family initiatives.
8. Phil's children's names are Amanda, Sophia, and Evan.
Are you tuning into the Masters today? Do you (or your hubby!) have a favorite player?
Image via David Cannon/ Getty Images