So, you're officially eating for two, and you know eating can help can help with morning sickness, but what should you reach for? It's a given that you probably won't make healthy choices all the time -- sometimes you've just gotta go with what you're craving, even if it might not be the best for you. But the rest of the time? I looked in Pregnancy to see what healthy snacks moms are munching on. Here are some ides for good things to keep on hand.
15 Healthy Snacks for Pregnant Women
- Low-fat yogurt -- filling and tasty.
- Nuts (a better choice than chips if you're craving something salty.)
- Fruit, fruit, fruit! Naked, dipped in yogurt, or fruit salad.
- Crunchy carrots, celery, and apple slices -- keep 'em sliced and ready to go on the most easily-reachable shelf in your fridge.
- Whole-grain crackers
- Veggies with hummus
- "Sandwiches" with ham, turkey, or veggies stacked between two lettuce leaves instead of two slices of bread (if you're trying to watch your carbs.)
- Sliced apples with a little peanut butter for protein
- Whole wheat toast with a little PB
- Trail mix
- Stacked turkey and avocados
- Homemade fruit smoothies (keep bananas in the freezer, then take them out and thaw enough to peel. Slice, add other fruit is you like, add a little sugar or fruit juice, toss in some ice, and blend.)
Other snack tips?
- Don't buy junk food at the grocery store -- if it's in the house, you're gonna reach for it when you're hungry.
- Think small -- if you really need something sweet, skip the full-size version of a candy bar and go for the mini or a small handful of chocolate chips.
- Drink lots of water -- keeps you hydrated and gives you a "full" feeling.
What are you snacking on these days?