The craziest thing my OBGYN said was that I could have my twins naturally. I know, it's not crazy, but after a visit with a specialist who said I should count on a c-section it was news I didn't expect to hear.
But lots of moms have heard really strange things from their doctors.
The site My OB Said What?!? posts those jaw-dropping quips. Here is a sampling:
- "Well, her vagina basically exploded..." -OB during repair of extensive tears after vaginal birth with baby in military presentation.
- "No. You're fine, the baby is fine, but you could DIE." -OB recommending a cesarean, when asked by mom if the baby was in distress.
- "Pitocin doesn't cause unnatural contractions. It causes REAL contractions."
- "We've got to get this going if I'm ever going to be back to my office in time for my new furniture delivery." -OB over open belly in the OR.
- "Smells like BBQ..." -OB to resident while cauterizing vessels during a cesarean section for breech.
- "This is man blood, so don't be surprised if you start feeling smarter." -OB to mom receiving a transfusion after Postpartum Hemorrhage.
OK, we've all said stupid things...I am so guilty of that. In fact, I could see myself saying something smelled like BBQ if in fact it did, even if it was a little out of line.
What about you? Has your OB ever said anything to you that was off-putting or really strange?
Should You Switch Your OBGYN?
I hate my OBGYN!