We worry about so many things when pregnant, and one of the major concerns is money. Who is making it? Is there enough? Are you going to work or stay home with baby? Sometimes there is no option, but when there is, there are some fascinating findings about the health of mom and baby when mom is a stay-at-home mom.
When studying the effect of economic hardships on Spain and America, researchers found that high unemployment rates have some incredible benefits for families. These findings could translate into ways that being a stay-at-home mom is the better option.
8 reasons pregnant women should consider being a SAHM ... and also work less during pregnancy:
1. Babies born during hard economic times had fewer birth defects.
2. Newborns were more likely to weigh a healthy amount.
3. Babies are less likely to die.
4. Mothers are able to sleep more and feel less stressed.
5. Moms are in better physical health -- cooking better foods at home, walking more instead of taking the car.
6. More family bonding, particularly due to the family meals.
7. Since during harder economic times, there are fewer cars on the roads, so the air is cleaner and there are fewer car accidents. Healthier living.
8. Fewer babies being born, making hospitals less busy and enabling them to provide better care for each baby and mother.
This is called looking on the upside of a potentially tough situation -- when the money is tight, it's never easy. But it's also something to consider when choosing to stay home with baby or not. Even if a mother decides to return to work, perhaps a downsized schedule is the perfect prescription.
Are you thinking of being a SAHM? Why or why not? What do you think of these findings?
Image via Donnie Ray Jones/Flickr