When I first learned I was pregnant, one of the most exciting things was coming up with the perfect baby name. This would be what my little one would be called for the rest of his life, so it was important to get it right. Like so many other moms-to-be, the process was as thrilling as it was terrifying. For some, inspiration for that perfect name can come from bird names, favorite foods, Disney characters, and even Game of Thrones. With so many options, it's rarely an easy and simple choice, but this amazing list may help. Check out the cutest baby names inspired by the Bible.
- Adina (Hebrew) - 1 Chron. 11:42 - adorned; voluptuous.
- Ariel (Hebrew) - Ezra 8:16 - altar; light or lion of God.
- Carmel (Hebrew) - Joshua 12:22 - circumcised lamb; harvest; full of ears of corn.
- Charity (Latin) - 1 Cor. 13:1-13 - dear.
- Chloe (Greek) - 1 Cor. 1:11 - green herb.
- Delilah (Hebrew) - Judges 16:4 - poor; small; head of hair.
- Dinah (Hebrew) - Gen. 30:21 - judgment; who judges.
- Eden (Hebrew) - Gen. 2:8 - pleasure; delight.
- Elisha (Latin) - Luke 1:5 - salvation of God.
- Eva (Hebrew) - Gen. 3:20 - living; enlivening.
- Faith (Latin) - 1 Cor. 13:13 - loyalty; belief.
- Grace (Latin) - Prov. 3:34 - favor; blessing.
- Hannah (Hebrew) - 1 Sam. 1:2 - gracious; merciful; he that gives.
- Hope (Old English) - Psalm 25:21 - expectation; belief.
- Jewel (Old French) - Prov. 20:15 - delight.
- Joy (Old French, Latin) - Heb. 1:9 - happiness.
- Lily (Latin) - Songs 2:1 - elegant flower; innocence; purity; beauty.
- Mara (Hebrew) - Exodus 15:23 - bitter; bitterness.
- Mercy (English) - Gen. 43:14 - compassion, forbearance.
- Olive (Latin) - Gen. 8:11 - fruitfulness; beauty; dignity.
- Oprah (Hebrew) - Judges 6:11 - dust; lead; a fawn.
- Sarai (Hebrew) - Gen. 17:15 - my lady; my princess.
- Shiloh (Hebrew) - Joshua 18:8 - peace; abundance; his gift.
- Tamar (Hebrew)- Gen. 38:6 - palm or date palm; palm-tree.
- Zina (Greek) - 1 Chron. 23:10 - shining; going back.
More from The Stir: 20 Baby Names Inspired by Color
- Abel (Hebrew) - Gen. 4:2 - vanity; breath; vapor.
- Abram (Hebrew) - Gen. 11:27 - high father; exalted father.
- Asher (Hebrew) - Gen. 30:13 - happiness.
- Bartholomew (Aramaic) - Matt. 10:3 - a son that suspends the waters.
- Caleb (Hebrew) - Num. 13:6 - a dog; a crow; a basket.
- Claudius (Latin) - Acts 11:28 - lame.
- Demetrius (Greek) - Acts 19:24 - belonging to corn, or to Ceres.
- Eli (Hebrew) - 1 Sam. 1:3 - the offering or lifting up.
- Ezra (Hebrew) - Ezra 7:1 - help; court.
- Gideon (Hebrew) - Judges 6:11 - he that bruises or breaks; a destroyer.
- Ira (Hebrew) - 2 Sam. 20:26 - watchman; making bare; pouring out.
- Jordan (Hebrew) - Gen. 13:10 - the river of judgment.
- Jude (Latin) - Jude 1:1 - the praise of the Lord; confession.
- Levi (Hebrew) - Gen. 29:34 - associated with him.
- Luke (Greek) - Col. 4:14 - luminous; white.
- Micah (Hebrew) - Judges 17:1 - poor; humble.
- Phineas (Hebrew) - Exodus 6:25 - bold aspect; face of trust or protection.
- Reuben (Hebrew) - Gen. 29:32 - who sees the son; the vision of the son.
- Rufus (Latin) - Mark 15:21 - red.
- Seth (Hebrew) - Gen. 4:25 - put; who puts; fixed.
- Silas (Latin) - Acts 15:22 - three, or the third.
- Solomon (Hebrew) - 2 Sam. 5:14 - peaceable; perfect; one who recompenses.
- Titus (Latin) - 2 Cor. 2:13 - pleasing.
- Tobias (Hebrew) - Ezra 2:60 - the Lord is good.
- Zachariah (Hebrew) - 2 Kings 14:29 - memory of the Lord.
More from The Stir: 100 Totally Amazing Hipster Baby Names
Are there other names you like from the Bible?
Image via Colleen Cahill/Design Pics/Corbis