There's something about being pregnant on New Year's Eve and day that makes you feel more reflective. Blame it on sobriety, but it's actually really nice to spend the holiday with a clear mind that gives you the power to actually make resolutions you'll want to keep. I've never been one for promising myself I'll spend more time at the gym or eat less meat after January 1 -- but I'm all for resolutions that can slowly be achieved over the course of the year.
And so I've vowed to make 2014 the year I focus solely on goals that will make me a better mom. Talk about pressure!
In no particular order, here is my list of pregnancy/new baby/mommy resolutions:
1. When I give birth this spring, I will also give breastfeeding a real try. Because, if I'm going to be honest with myself, I gave up a little too soon last time around. It hurt like hell, my nipples were sore and bloody, my baby seemed like she was starving all of the time, and no one slept. But, for me, the benefits outweigh the negatives. I promise myself I'll stick it out a little longer.
2. I will not consider myself a failure if breastfeeding doesn't work out for me. I will not cry on and off for weeks. I will get on with life and feed my child however he needs to be fed. I refuse to allow negative thoughts to eat us both alive.
3. I will take my husband up on all of his offers to let me sleep in on the weekends from now until I give birth. He can handle feeding my toddler breakfast, even if he doesn't do things exactly my way. And it will be awhile until I get the chance to sleep in again after baby is born.
4. I will make potty training my toddler more of a priority. I won't push her if she isn't ready, but I will follow through each and every day and try to get her onto that potty. Yes, even on days when I'd rather be out and about with her conveniently clad in diapers.
5. I will not rush into buying a house that isn't perfect for us. The pressure is mounting since we'll be quite cramped in our current quarters once new baby is born, but I will resist the temptation to take anything bigger in order to have more space.
Do you have New Year's mommy resolutions?
Image via oopsart/Flickr