There are plenty of really positive things about pregnancy, but by far, one of the best aspects of having a little one on the way has got to be the extra attention, sympathy, and overall fuss you receive from others simply because you're sporting a baby bump.
And since pregnancy is the only time in our lives when we can be a little bit selfish here and there and get away with it, we should take advantages of the perks that come our way as much as we can. Why not, right?
No, you're not a bad person for milking your pregnancy for some extra bonuses. Or at least I don't think it's anything you should be given any grief for.
That being said, here are eight clever ways you can use your pregnancy to get what you want -- or to get out of what you don't want.
- Bye-bye speeding ticket -- Yep. Cops are suckers for women with a bun in the oven. (Trust me. I know.) If you happen to get pulled over, give the officer a pathetic look when you roll your window down, and tell him you're about to pee your pants. He'll give you a verbal warning and send you on your way.
- You can win ANY argument -- If you get into a heated discussion with someone, all you have to do is break down and cry, and they'll immediately start apologizing and admitting that whatever happened was obviously their fault. No one can resist a crying preggo. No one.
- Hello extra sick days at work -- Duh. Your boss doesn't want you barfing all over the office because you can't make it to the bathroom in time. And he/she probably won't dare tell you that you're out of sick days for the year. Who would be that heartless?
- You never have to stand -- Forget asking -- you can DEMAND that someone give up their seat on the bus, subway, waiting room, whatever. You're pregnant, for God's sake, which makes your comfort way more important than theirs.
- RSVP-ing "no" with zero guilt -- Don't feel like going to your niece's birthday party, the PTA meeting at school, or the neighborhood cookie exchange? Play the exhaustion card. Works every time.
- Scoring an upgrade -- No joke -- this just might work. When you settle into your cramped middle seat on the airplane, simply ring the flight attendant call button -- and then tell her you're hot, uncomfortable, and feeling nauseous. Odds are good she'll move you to a row by yourself, or even to first class to avoid having to dispose of an air sickness bag.
- Getting a great deal -- A friend of mine insists being preggo helped her get pretty much any type of return or exchange in any stores quickly and without any questions. She also sometimes scored additional discounts for the trouble of having to come back to the store in the first place. Her motto? The bigger the belly and the more kids you have crying around you ... the quicker the service.
- Using the restroom anywhere -- You know how many stores say they don't have a public bathroom? They do if you're pregnant. It's worth breaking the rules for the staff if it gets them out of mopping up pee.
How have you used your pregnancy to your advantage?
Image via Corbis