A few months back, the American Academy of Pediatrics released home birth recommendations. To sum them up for you, the AAP advocates hospital births, yet some studies show that home births are just as safe -- if not safer. In fact, home births are becoming more and more popular every year. Between 2004 and 2009, the number of home births in the U.S. increased by nearly 30 percent. Interestingly, home births are more common among white women aged 35 and over, and among women who have had other children. The exact reason for the rise is not clear, but experts say it may have to do with women wanting less medical intervention during their birth experience.
But no matter the reasons, it's important to recognize that we all make different choices when it comes to labor and delivery (and well on into the child-rearing years). Some of us will choose hospital births and some will choose home births and why we do is nobody's business but our own. Let's respect and honor each other's choices. To that end, here are a few things you should never say to a mom who has chosen a home birth:
More from The Stir: Birthing Classes Are a Big Waste of Time
- I would never do that -- it's too unsafe.
- Are you going to eat the placenta?
- If I'd have had a home birth my baby would have died because I had to have an emergency C-section.
- Aren't you scared?
- Ewww. I wouldn't want to clean up that mess.
- Does your midwife carry malpractice insurance?
- What are you trying to prove?
- There was absolutely no warning that there was anything wrong with my son until after he was born.
- Are you going to home-school too?
- What do you have against hospitals?
- Does your [mom/husband/sister] know about this?
- What if you need drugs?!
- I know a friend of a friend of a friend who had a home birth and her baby died.
- I wouldn't risk my baby's life by having a home birth.
- I'm willing to pay for a hospital birth -- I don't care how much it costs.
- How could you live with yourself if your baby died?
Are you considering home birth? What's the rudest thing someone has said to you?
Image via Jason Lander/Flickr