After hearing about the pregnant radio show host whose water broke on the air out in Denver, I have to admit feeling like I kind of got gypped when I had my son seven years ago. I wound up being induced 10 days early because he was getting too big, so the doctors broke my water with one of those funky little sticks instead of it happening naturally. (Oh yes, it was just as pleasant as it sounds.)
It would've been so cool to reminisce about where I was and what I was doing when the water started flowing. Since I don't have a good story to tell, I thought it would be fun to check with other moms to see what kind of laughable moments they had. (So I can live vicariously through them.)
Get ready to chuckle after hearing these 11 water breaking stories moms will never forget!
- "I was at a bar at a 30th birthday party. I was so embarrassed as I didn't have a single contraction leading up to this point and just prayed that I didn't wet my pants, lol! Thank goodness it was fall and I could wrap a jacket around my waist as we exited." -- Jenny
- "They broke it for me the first time around, second time it happened in the car on the way to the hospital. I just said to my husband, 'Sorry, I'm getting the car all wet.' Ha. I felt bad but it was just trickling. Not a gush." -- Wendy
- "I had just gotten up at 3 a.m. to go to the bathroom, waddled back to bed, and then thought, 'Hmmm ... I just peed ... and now I'm peeing again?!' But yeah, it was my water breaking. In the bed." -- Sarah, In the Trenches of Mommyhood
- "I was going up the stairs with a basket of laundry." -- Tressa
- "We were regulars at the Memphis Tiger basketball games and sat right next to the student section. We had made friends with some of these students and they all had come to know me as the pregnant girl. As soon as the team announcements began, I stood up and my water broke. I didn't want to alarm anyone, so I slowly started gathering my things and my water continued to run down my leg (it was a high break -- so continuously leaking). As soon as the lights came back on, my family and I started leaving in single file and the student section stood up and clapped for us (knowing full well by this time what going on due to the massive amounts of water down my jeans). I waved to them all and went on to the hospital." -- Morgan
- "I remember exactly where I was. I had just dropped J at daycare, was walking to my car and was like 'eh, that's a bit wet,' drove home, finished packing my bags, all the while leaking fluid all over the house with the dog following me around. I drove to the doctor and walked in with a towel between my legs. The poor women in the waiting room were gasping. The doctor comes in and goes, 'Why are you here, go to the hospital!?!' I told them I had called the office and they told me to come in. My husband met me at the doctor's office and then we went to the hospital, got checked in, and four hours later, my son was born." -- Anonymous
- "I was at a Michaels craft store in line. I finished my purchase and then drove myself to the hospital. Was admitted and had her the next day. I'll never forget the dude in line before me -- his face was priceless, and he let me cut in line." -- Kristen, Mommy in Sports
- "I was in line at Home Depot for one, and on a dance floor with my husband's co-workers with number four, and at his Christmas party for another one!" -- Buffy
- "With my middle child I was in church and my pastor was delivering the sermon. I was so embarrassed. Imagine walking out of a quiet church with your shoes squeaking from the water collecting in them!!" -- Jocelyn
- "My water broke at home in the bathroom. Since the child birth teacher suggested smelling to make sure it's not urine, I went in to my husband who was sleeping, put my underwear in his face, and said, 'Smell this.' And he said, 'Get out of my face.' I stood in awe for a moment until he sat up and said panicked, 'Is it time?!'" -- Kristen
- I was so nervous it would break in public, but it broke when I was in labor. I had an epidural already, so I said, 'I either wet the bed, or my water broke ...' Turns out I did not wet the bed." -- Maggie
Do you have a funny water breaking story you'd care to share?
Image via dlisbona/Flickr