As a new mom, you get a whole lot of advice, some of which is great and some of which is just plain ridiculous. A lot of it has to do with gear. I remember being so overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things and then the names? OMG! Those names! It was like people were speaking another language.
Well, relax moms (and dads). You don't need all the things you think you do, and the few things you really DO need are all within reach and you only need one.
Don't believe me? Well, here is the definitive list of 10 must-haves all new moms need to have at their disposal and a video, to boot. See below:
- Breastfeeding pillow: There are a few different brands now, but I could never have made it through 10 minutes of new motherhood without mine. Even when I fed my baby a pumped bottle, I still needed this item. All moms have to have it.
- Body carrier: My kids liked two different kinds of carriers, so really this is up to the baby. Join a baby wearers group and borrow them all before you buy. Whatever your baby likes and makes you the most comfortable is the one to buy!
- Bouncy seat: I found this to be indispensable. Some parents go without, but I don't know how.
- Activity mat: This is a really nice way for baby to stimulate themselves and learn to roll and do tummy time comfortably. Meanwhile mom can get a break from holding the little one for a few minutes!
- Baby monitor: In a bigger house this is a must. A baby video monitor is even better for those of us who are a wee bit paranoid and like to see it all at all times. It also eliminates having to "check on" the baby and waking him or her in the process.
- Car seat: They won't let you leave the hospital in a car without one, so buy it now!
- Swaddle blankets: Muslin in the summer, flannel in the fall. Have a large arsenal of these and you will sleep better. Trust me.
- Diapers: When my babe was born, someone told me, "All you need are boobs and diapers and a place for her to sleep." That was pretty much the truth. This item is key.
- Diaper pail: Knock it if you want, but unless you want to take out the trash every night, you need one of these to kill the smell.
- Nail clippers: Those baby nails grow fast and furious. And then they scratch themselves and that's just sad. Keep them short (or file them if you prefer) and all will be well. Forget the mittens. Those don't work.
What item could you not live without?